Wednesday, January 23, 2013

First Time Travelling With Cakes

This past August I was planning a trip home to see the family.  Since I moved to North Carolina I have been baking and decorating more cakes so I hadn't gotten the chance to make very many cakes for my family back in Ohio. I had planned to go home the first part of August because that is when the county fair near my dad was going on.  Also around that time my mom and sister were celebrating their birthdays.

So I decided to make three 6" cakes, one for my mom, one for my sister, and another one to take to the fair for my family camping there.  All the cakes were iced with buttercream and I made all the fondant accent pieces at home and transported the cake and accent pieces separate.  When I got there I put all of them together.  This meant I had to bring many of my supplies along for the ride. 

For my mom's birthday cake I decided to make her a cake that represented her, our mom.  Around the top of the cake I made the faces of each one of my sister's and me. As a topper I made the letters to spell out "Mom".  She was currently in the middle of decorating her house with brown and teal so I used those colors on the cake.

For my sister's birthday cake, I made it a cat and dog themed cake.  My sister just recently graduated with her Vet Tech degree and she loves animals so I thought this cake was fitting.


For the fair cake, I made a barn themed cake.  I added small fondant animals that you would see at the fair as well as a barn made out of Rice Krispie treats and then covered with fondant.  This was the first time I had made a figurine out of Rice Krisipes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment