Sunday, January 27, 2013

Two Cakes for One Special Lady

So last year for my mother-in-law's birthday I made her two cakes.  Some might say I am trying to win over my in-laws.  =)  The reason that might be closer to the truth would be that I got a text from my grandmother-in-law asking if we could throw a little birthday party for my mother-in-law the weekend before when more of the family would be together at the beach.  I said that would be great and that I would supply the cake.  So the first cake I made was a beach theme.  On the top I made a man and a woman to look like my in-laws and had them laying on the beach with their beach towels and umbrella. My big mistake that I later found out was I put her age on the cake.  So much for trying to "win them over". =)  The cake was iced in buttercream and decorated with fondant accents.  I also tried a new cake recipe, Mint Chocolate.  I actually am not a mint and chocolate fan but many said that the cake tasted good.

The second cake I made was for the actual day of her birthday.  Since they live in town we usually try to get together on each others' birthdays.  This time they came out to our house and I surprised her with another one.  My mother-in-law and I share a love for teaching but I am currently not teaching so I can stay home and care for our kids.  My mother-in-law teaches high school math so I had to make her cake about teaching and math.  On the top I made a chalkboard and on the sides I wrote math formulas that she might recognize.  One of the formulas I made up and she was able to spot the fake. 

Again this cake was iced in buttercream and decorated with fondant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment