Sunday, February 17, 2013

Snow that Leads to Freezing (A Cake)

This past Saturday we saw our biggest accumulation of snow here in and around Raleigh, North Carolina for this winter thus far.   Since snow is not often seen here and many southern people are unaware how to handle it there are many precautions that are taken.   I am sure many people back home in Ohio would have a good laugh to see what happens when we get a light dusting as they would call it.  But if you don't drive in snow very often you probably should take more precautions.

With that said, I also had a baby shower cake to do for a co-worker of my mother-in-law's.  The shower was to be that day.  Once the snow starting falling the mother-to-be's husband thought it would be best to reschedule the baby shower.  Which again if you aren't used to driving in snow (and are very pregnant) then you probably shouldn't risk it.  By the time I got the message, the cake was almost complete.  I had a few last minute touches to do but for the most part it was done.  So now I had this cake done, the shower was cancelled but rescheduled for next Thursday, and they would like to have the cake still.  I knew the cake wouldn't last if I left it out.  I could have remade it but that would mean more time and supplies.  So after some Googling and talking with my mother-in-law, we decided that we would try and freeze the cake.

I researched how to freeze an already iced and decorated cake.  I wrapped it up good and placed it in our freezer.  I am praying that when I unwrap the cake on Thursday that the cake looks as it did when I first made it as well as tastes just as good.  Check out what the cake looked like before placing it in the freezer.  I will post an update with a picture of when we thaw it back out.  I am really hoping this works, but I guess this is how you learn if things work or not, by trial and error.

The cake is iced with buttercream and decorated with marshmallow fondant and some gumpaste pieces.  The mother-to-be also requested Funfetti cake which is her favorite I was told. :)  I also received the baby shower invite and tried to model the cake after the invitation.

The invitation/inspiration
 



The cake before it was frozen...



The cake all wrapped up and ready to be frozen...



UPDATE:  So after I let the cake completely thaw to room temperature I unwrapped it.  It looked exactly as it did before it went in the freezer.  The only slight flaw was that a few fondant pieces on the cake board cracked because they became pretty flimsy and I accidentally bumped them when I was unwrapping it.  I didn't get the chance to taste the cake but the people at the shower told me it tasted great! That was a blessing to hear.  So it is possible to freeze an already-decorated cake.  I just hope I don't have to do that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment