Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Belated Birthday Cupcakes

A week ago Monday was my brother-in-law's birthday.  My sister had invited us over for dinner to celebrate his birthday.  She also asked if I could make him cupcakes.  Of course I said I would love to.  She had a special request for them.  She had told me that my brother-in-law had set 3 goals for the upcoming year and she would like the cupcakes to represent his goals for the year.  The three goals were to get in shape, bench press a certain amount, and bike a marathon.  I decided I would do 12 cupcakes.  I had planned to do 2 cupcakes per goal, 2 cupcakes to say "Happy Birthday", 1 cupcake to represent my brother-in-law, 1 cupcake to show how old he was turning and that left me with 2 more cupcakes to decorate.  I decided to add a few more things that would happen in the coming year.  One was they are expecting their second girl in March and then in May he will graduate from grad school.  So the last 2 represent those things.

The week before his birthday our whole family got sick with a stomach bug. We decided that it would probably be best if we put it off a week.  So yesterday we were able to get together and celebrate his birthday.  Here are some pictures of the cupcakes.



After later looking at the pictures I took I realized I probably should have taken some pictures of each individual cupcake.  I did get a close up of the little guy I made to represent my brother-in-law from my sister.  The cupcakes were red velvet and were iced with buttercream and then I used gum paste to make the pieces on top.  I probably should have used half gum paste and half fondant.  The gum paste dries very quickly making it hard to sculpt with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment